Buy Tickets here
Important: Bring your own Arduino! If you don’t have one, we may potentially sell one to you, but let us know ASAP
If you have an Arduino from the soldering class, please bring it!
This is a class for absolute beginners to the Arduino, microcontrollers, embedded systems, computer architecture, and C programming language.
However we try to make it interesting and challenging enough for people who are already somewhat familiar with the above topics.
Topics you will learn in this class
• What is binary? What is hexadecimal?
• What is a CPU,RAM,ROM,Computer Architecture
• What does computer (microcontroller) hardware do under the hood?
• Quick and dirty intro to Assembly Language (Going between C and Assembly)
• Detailed Introduction to C
• Detailed intro to the Arduino and the Arduino IDE
• Quick introduction to electronic sensors (More detailed in class 4)
• How to use a breadboard
What you will do during the class
• Install and configure the Arduino IDE
• Program an Arduino to control a small toy traffic light
• Detect toy cars at an intersection using sensors and control the traffic light
• See live demonstrations of cool projects some of our members have done using Arduino. Robots, musical tesla coil, 3d printers, etc.
Materials you will receive
• Custom toy traffic light with LED’s (3d printed by HackPGH) See image above.
• Toy car
• Small breadboard
• Resistors, photoresistors, capacitors, jumper wires, etc
• Arduino (Uno, Mega, Due, anything you can attach an Uno shield to)
Lunch at noon
Bring $5 a person for Pizza or whatever else you like. We decide as a group.
This is class 3 of the HackPittsburgh Electronics/Microcontrollers Learning Tracks
Class 1: Intro to Basic Electricity
Class 2: Learn to Solder
Class 3: Arduino 101
Class 4: Sensors
Class 5: Motor Control
Class 6: Basic Electronics 2 (Semiconductors)
Class 7: Advanced Arduino Programming