What’s Linux? Why would you use it? HOW would you use it? Wait, how would you INSTALL it?
Please join us this Friday, March 16th, for a Linux Installfest, courtesy of the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group.
At the InstallFest you can…
* Bring in your computer from home and install Linux with the help of the area’s leading experts. Help with configuring additional hardware or software on a pre-installed Linux machine is also available.
* Get a free copy of Linux that you can take home and experiment with on your own time and at your own pace.
* Play family-safe free games that you can take home and use on your own computer.
* See what others are doing with Linux and free software in your area.
* Learn how Linux and free software can help your home, non-profit, or business.
* Get advice on how to get started on Linux on your desktop, laptop, or server when you are ready.
All of this is FREE!
Free and open to the public.
Doors open at 7pm, event starts shortly thereafter. As installs can take some time, please show up earlier rather than later. There will be no formal talk portion, so you can start shortly after arriving.
We’re at 1936 Fifth Avenue, in the garage around back (on Watson).
Look for our flag over the door.
* Ubuntu 11.10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
* Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (32-bit and 64-bit)
* Fedora 16 (DVD) (32-bit and 64-bit)
* Debian 6.0.4 (DVD) (32-bit and 64-bit)
* CentOS 6.2 (DVD) (32-bit and 64-bit)
(There will also be the capability to create bootable USB flash drives able to boot multiple Live CD distros – bring your own flash drive… Your system’s BIOS must be able to boot from a USB device in order to make use of a bootable USB flash drive. Only 32-bit Live CD distros will be available for this.)
What to bring:
* Bring your computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cables. A computer that is less than 5 years old with a CDROM drive and network card is highly recommended. Wireless Internet is available. Ask the HackPittsburgh host staff for details. Please refer to our acceptable use policy for the network. Show up sooner rather than later allow yourself enough time to accomplish a complete install.