From HackPittsburgh Wiki
List all your favorite places to get tools, equipment, etc.
Tools & Equipment
- Hamilton Tool Supply (Beaver Falls) A used tool supermarket focusing on the hobbyist and DIY-er.
- Harbor Freight (Various suburban locations) a chain of discount tool retail stores.
- University of Pittsburgh Surplus (Oakland)
- Pennsylvania Government Surplus (EBay)
Material & Hardware
- Construction Junction (Point Breeze) reuse and recycled building materials and furniture.
- McMaster Carr supplier to industrial and commercial facilities worldwide.
- Small Parts inc. the hardware store for researchers and developers.
Electronics Components & Kits
- All Electronics The TJMaxx of electrical components
- Electronics 123 (Columbiana, OH) Product for the electronic hobbyist and amateur scientist (Nearly overnight shipping.)
- Robotic Concepts Used industrial robots
- AdaFruit (NYC) Kits and parts for original, open source hardware electronics projects
- SparkFun the tools, hardware, and resources to play with cool electronic gadgetry.
- SuperBrightLEDs is what it says on the tin.
- OctoPart part search engine.
- DigiKey/Mouser; also recommended, domestic shipping.
- Hardwood Emporium (Elizabeth) wide selection of hardwood lumber, including exotics.
- Taylor Lumber (Neville Island) deep selection of domestic hardwoods at lower cost. Plan your purchase ahead of time; no showroom.
- Rockler Woodworking (McKnight Road) has everything for fine woodworking. Pricey.
- Di Legno Wood Supply (McKees Rocks) can order everything for fine woodworking, cheaper than Rockler, but no showroom. Dante also offers classes.
- Western PA Woodworkers (Pittsburgh) local group of professional and amateur woodworkers.